Monday, February 16, 2009

Don't tell Mr. Reeve this one

This past Friday in school the class had a Valentine's Day celebration during the last period of the day. This celebration, as it seems common now, was over the top. Classroom mothers came in with enough food to feed triple the amount of kids in the class, a craft was made, valentines' exchanged, and of course "A Charlie Brown's Valentine" was watched. During all of this one of the students had asked me to tell her a riddle. It had seemingly become a custom for me to tell the students riddles during lunch or other free times. They would attempt to solve them, often giving up and asking me for the answer. When C asked me for a riddle I quickly rattled my brain for one that she had not heard and decided to tell her a modified version of a classic. The original riddle goes like this, "what has four legs, but cannot walk?" The answer being a table or a chair. I decided to change the riddle to, "what has two legs, but cannot walk?" Looking for the answer "a statue."

I told her the riddle and i saw her start running it through her mind. She quickly gave up, but before asking for the answer turned to her friend S to tell her. When S heard the riddle she paused for a moment and turned to me and said without missing a beat answered "a paralyzed person." This was not the answer I was looking for, but she is none the less correct.

No comments: