Thursday, April 9, 2009

Quotes from the playground

While many of us picture spring break as drunken debauchery spewed across some Florida beach, my spring break was at the opposite end of that spectrum. This past week has been the spring break for the school district that I work in. While this should have been a week of total relaxation and sleeping I had to spend part of it working at the vacation camp that my after school program runs whenever school is on break. Working at the camp often means boredom and board games, but generally the child do manage to making it entertaining. One boy, L, is in second grade and is most likely the most outrageous child I have ever met. No taller than four feet he manages to climb on everything and everyone like an escaped monkey from Six Flags with the voice of a veteran two pack-a-day smoker. His thought process is completely unpredictable, like a pinball machine being played by someone with Parkinson's. Today while sitting on the swings L decides inform me that his grandfather once did a very bad thing. My curiosity peaked, I asked L to explain. He then told me the following:

"He flipped his car once! He told everyone he would never do it again, but then HE DID IT AGAIN! And He had a pet raccoon when he was little. And he once had an itchy pair of pants that he decided to burn, but he accidentally burnt down the whole barn!"

He asked me later on, during lunch, to hold him upside down because he wanted to see if he could eat his sandwich while inverted.

If you were able to peer into L's mind it would resemble something along the lines of a acid induced rave staring Pink Floyd and Hunter S. Thompson.

No comments: