Saturday, December 13, 2008

Not with a bang but a LOL

With Tyler bringing up "Calvin and Hobbes" and my previous post waxing nostalgic about simpler times, I feel the need to complain.

Recently at [Demarcations] I was talking with an older employee about comic strips. This, of course, made me think of Calvin and Hobbes--with which he had little contact. As we were talking about the strip I had a very sad realization: Calvin and Hobbes has become anachronistic--dated! It focuses on a boy who spends the majority of his time outside, building forts and snowmen and riding in a wagon. The kid also has an imagination so powerful that it shakes the foundation of the material world he lives in: dinosaurs flying fighter jets, cardboard box time machines, and that constant, fabricated companion.

I'm afraid that the generations after mine would look at this strip and see nothing of a foothold. No context, no frame of reference. When I was a kid I seem to recall being nearly always outside. I climbed trees. I dug massive holes for the hell of it. I went to the park and rode my bike, and I remember being called from the back porch as the sun went down. But now it is rare for me to see any kids in the neighborhood. Sometimes, as I am going to work, I see them slogging their way up to the old John J. Audubon School #42--and sometimes I see them slogging their way home. But that is it. The park is full of old people and young couples with dogs. I haven't seen anyone on a bike here in ages--at least, anyone who didn't have sunglasses and lycra shorts.

And this is how I know I am old. I have started my what's-with-the-kids-these-days speeches. Next I'll be confiscating errant frisbees (if there were any) and lose my ability to use a remote control. But I really do feel that these generational changes are significant--moreso, perhaps, then the one behind me complaining about "the rap music and the em tee vee."

I think it is better for kids to be outside getting scrapes and bruises and playing tag or Cowboys and Indians than screaming homophobic obscenities at each other while one of their avatars teabags another.

I think that if this generation had a Calvin he would be a fat, lonely little fuck altogether medicated and crushed out of existence. We could call it "Calvin and No One," because he sure as hell wouldn't be able to imagine his way out of a paper bag, let alone come up with a separate being. Whereas the previous had remarkable insights and thoughtful observations, this bright and shining new Calvin would have fingertips stained orange from Cheeto-dust, pale skin from constant illumination-by-monitor, and would most likely grow up and go Columbine on all our asses.

Sweet Jesus, I just went back and read what I wrote and I come off as one of those internet assholes that are so popular these days. Sorry to put my grumpy pants on, all. But what else are blogs for but the late-night airings of our indignant rages passed off as legitimate social commentary and criticism?

The next post will be back on track. And will most likely mention vomit. I am noticing a pattern.

3 comments:

Stone said...

Heh heh..."Calvin and No One"...

Man why you got to do a thing and make me realise that I am what thirteen year old me considered to be old.

Heh heh...[Demarcations]...heh...

But aren't we supposed to be at that "good" age. That age where we all have shitty jobs, and live together in apartments, and we all hang out and have interconnected relationships, and complain about pop culture, and have random misadventures.

..Oh wait, the show Friends is anachronistic, now too...

...Kids these days don't have a frame of reference for Columbine, either.

I could keep making 90's references but Hal Sparks and Michael Ian Black would show up. OH BUT WAIT THAT WOULD BE AWESOME!

Diabolical Chickens said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Diabolical Chickens said...

there's a strip of calvin and hobbes, but instead of their usual antics, calvin is working on a paper, and is talking about how his mother says the pills are working. (search for calvin and hobbes, medication, i don't have the internet skills to include a link) the friend who sent it to me called it the most disturbing thing he's ever seen on 4chan.